Monday 2 May 2016

Dancing Dragonflies


Today I am sharing my latest DT piece for Visible Image, using one of their fab MDF Monoliths and the dragonfly image, which is one of my favourite stamps. Although I don't get to see dragonflies often I adore watching them dart and swoop over the water, especially on a bright day when their wings glow and shimmer in the sunlight. Here I've tried to recreate some of that effect using Silks mica-based paints to make the wings catch the light.


I didn't take any process shots for this piece, but here's how I made it:

1) Cover a monolith with book pages then paint over with watered-down cream paint. Add some light brown tones of Distress Ink to create some subtle warmth.

2) Add Dreamweaver gold texture paste through a stencil (Tim Holtz), leaving a gap to stamp the sentiment.

3) When dry stamp around the edges using  just a part of each of the Edgy stamps - first in Archival Tree Branch and then black. Run a fold calligraphy pen around the edges,

4) Stamp the greeting in Archival Garden Patina ink and then again, but slightly offset, in black.

5) Stamp six dragonflies and colour with ColourArte Silks to give them a gorgeous shimmer (I used colours Teal Zircon and Pretty Peridot). Layer two sets of wings per dragonfly then add a body. Glue to the monolith and raise the wings to finish.

I think this makes a really pretty piece of home decor - hope you do too.

Katy x

Here are the stamps I used today:



No comments:

Post a Comment