Monday 15 June 2015

June Rubber Dance Challenge - Answers on a Postcard!


A little big of postcard art from me today - created for my Rubber Dance Challenge reminder post. 

If you'd like to play along with us you can find all the details here. And below is the colour swatch for this month, inspired by the seaside.

Sunny/sand yellow, ocean green and blue.
In addition to our colour scheme, our OPTIONAL theme for June is Sand & Sea

I used a lot of masking to create my postcard as obviously it needs to be pretty flat if you want to post it. When masking, make sure you stamp what is in the foreground first - in my case the retro bather stamp. I then masked her and stamped the 'postcard' image, and then masked that before adding the sun. 


For the shell cluster I stamped the starfish first, then used several masks for both the starfish and shells to make a cluster. I added the 'waves' (using the sand dune stamp from New Retro Beach upside down) with the masks still in place.


What you see in the photos is the finished card but after the stamping I masked everything so I could add Distress Inks to colour the background. When doing this use a dabbing motion rather than the usual blending technique to prevent the masks moving.

 I chose to colour my stamped images quite loosely, in keeping with the retro style (and if I am honest because I can't colour for toffee!!!). To finish I added letter stickers reading Wish You Were Here (and boy do I wish I was!).

I'm also entering my postcard in another challenge (you could do the same!) - Dunja's birthday challenge, which has this mood board as it's inspiration.

Good luck if you join us for the Rubber Dance challenge!

Katy xxx

I used these Rubber Dance stamps for my postcard:

Envelope Stamps

New Retro Beach

Take the Plunge (I designed these!)


3 comments:

  1. Thank you for the reminder post, Katy! I love your postcard! So nice to see you're using your own stamp designs :-) Love those, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super awesome!!! Totally beach feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Katy, your postcard is gorgeous. I love the colorcombo you've used from the Moodboard. Thanks for joining my blog birhtday celebration. Good Luck for you! :)

    Hugs, Dunja

    ReplyDelete